I grew up eating Egg McMuffins from McDonalds, and I still love them! We would stop and grab one nearly every weekend for breakfast growing up because we were always running to a softball tournament somewhere and needed a quick breakfast.
Now that I’m older and have my own family, we’re still always on the go (or so it seems) and need a quick, healthy breakfast. So, I put together a healthier version of the Egg McMuffin and the boys love it. I make them with whole wheat muffins, eggs, cheddar cheese, veggies and sliced turkey. If you don’t like turkey or prefer another meat, switch it out or leave it off! They are still delicious.
I typically make these on a Sunday evening and store them in plastic bags or plastic wrap for the entire week! Start by sautéing the veggies. You’ll want to cook them to soften them up before adding them to the egg mixture.
This recipe is so easy! Mix up the eggs and milk, add the veggies and bake! That’s it!
Once the eggs are done baking, assemble the sandwiches, wrap them in plastic and store them in the fridge. Depending on the size of your family it may make sense for you to double the batch. One batch makes 6 sandwiches. Enjoy!!
Make Ahead Breakfast Sandwiches
Servings 6 sandwiches
- 6 whole wheat English muffins
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- 6 slices turkey or ham
- 1/4 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup onion
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat a small casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Sauté the veggies until softened.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, salt and pepper. Once the veggies are softened, add them to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg and veggie mixture into the casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes, or until the center is set. Allow them to cool then slice into 6 squares.
- Assemble the sandwiches by adding one piece of the eggs, one slice of cheese, and one slice of turkey or ham. Then wrap in plastic or put in a lunch sized plastic bag.
- When you are ready to enjoy a sandwich, take it out of the bag, wrap it in a paper towel and microwave it for about a minute. Depending on your microwave setting it may take a little longer or a little less time. Enjoy!