Cookies are a popular treat for my family! When we have cookies around they sure don’t last long. My boys (even my husband) would eat them for breakfast, if I let them. 🙂 I’ve tried a few different versions of healthier chocolate chip cookies, and finally found one that everyone loves. When we make these my boys ask for them constantly because they don’t taste super healthy.
Almond flour can be a substitute for enriched flour in a lot of baking recipes, however it can be a little expensive if you buy it in a grocery store. I found a great deal for almond flour on Amazon if you buy in bulk, so that’s where I get mine!
These cookies are pretty easy to make and take less cook time compared to a standard chocolate chip cookie. All you do is mix the almond flour, salt and baking soda together in food processor, then using the pulse function, pulse in the melted coconut oil, melted butter, vanilla extract, honey and egg. This makes a pretty small batch so a small food processor works just fine.
Once you get all of the ingredients mixed together, fold in the chocolate chips by hand. It’s really up to you what kind of chocolate chips you want to use. We’ve made them using mini milk chocolate chips (the kids like these the best) and 70% dark chocolate chunks (I buy the bars at Trader Joe’s and chop them up) and they both taste great….it just depends on the level of sweetness you want. The darker chocolate you use the less sweet the cookies will taste.
Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes to make it easier to scoop and mold into a cookie. Using a small cookie dough scoop or a tablespoon, scoop out the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. These silicone baking mats are awesome for all kinds of baking….no need to use parchment paper! Press the cookies down with your hand or the back of a spoon to flatten them out like cookies.
Bake the cookies for 7-8 minutes then, once you remove them from the oven, let them cool on the cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Transfer them to a cooling rack to allow them to completely cool and ENJOY!
Give them a try and let me know what you think!
Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
Servings 18 cookies
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Use a food processor to combine the almond flour, salt and baking soda. Pulse in coconut oil, honey, vanilla, butter and egg until a dough forms.
- Fold in chocolate chips by hand. Let the dough rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Using a small cookie dough scoop or tablespoon, scoop dough onto prepared cookie sheet.
- With your hands or a spoon, press down balls of dough to flatten them like a cookie.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest on the cookie sheet for 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a cooling rack and let stand until cool. Enjoy!