I’ve been looking for a good “breakfast bar” recipe because my boys absolutely love the breakfast bars from Trader Joe’s and I wanted to make them a healthier option. I found it! These homemade granola bars are super easy to make, require no baking and are delicious!
I loved how easy this recipe was to make! Although it didn’t require any baking, you do need to create the sticky mixture that holds everything together on the stove top. Simply melt the peanut butter, honey, brown sugar and butter together in a medium sauce pan, stirring occasionally. Bring the mixture to a low boil and continue to cook for another 2-4 minutes or until the brown sugar dissolves, stirring constantly so it doesn’t burn.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the crispy rice cereal and the oats. Let cool for about 5 minutes then fold in the almonds, dried cherries and dark chocolate chips. Don’t worry if the chocolate chips start melting a little bit, mine did and the bars still turned out nice and chewy!
I love to have a little bit of sweet in my granola bars to satisfy my cravings and the dark chocolate chips combined with the dried cherries are a great combination. If you want to lose a little of the sugar, feel free to leave one or both of them out. You may even decide to substitute another kind of nut or dried fruit….go crazy! 🙂
Spread the mixture in a medium baking dish lined with parchment paper and refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Make sure you leave the edges of the parchment paper sticking out of the pan for easy removal. Cut and enjoy!
You can get creative and customize this recipe to your liking! I think I’m going to add a little vanilla and cinnamon next time I make a batch. Yum, that sounds awesome!
Better Than Store-Bought Granola Bars
- 1/4 cup peanut butter, creamy
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup almonds, sliced or chopped
- 5 ounces dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a medium sauce pan, melt brown sugar, butter, peanut butter and honey. Stir occasionally.
- Bring mixture to a boil and cook for another 2-4 minutes, or until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in oats and crispy rice cereal. Let it cool for 5-7 minutes.
- Fold in almonds, dried cherries and dark chocolate chips. Chocolate chips may melt a little but that's okay!
- Line a medium baking dish (8x8, 7x9, etc.) with parchment paper. Make sure parchment paper sticks out so you can pull it out of the dish once it's cool.
- Spread mixture into baking dish and flatten out. Chill in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Cut & serve! Enjoy!