These energy bites are amazing! They give you a little bit of sweet mixed with a lot of protein….a perfect combination. My mother-in-law has made these for us a few times and they are always a hit, so I decided I wanted to share her secret recipe with all of you. 🙂
As you probably know by now, I’m all about quick, easy recipes! These energy bites are so easy they took my 3 year old and I about 15 minutes to make. Start by blending the almonds in a food processor or blender. If you have almond flour you can use that instead of almonds!
Once you have the almonds blended, add the pitted dates and blend again. Finally, add the chia seeds, protein powder and peanut butter and blend a final time. Once you have everything blended, form into balls a little smaller than a ping pong ball. I kind of had to mush the balls together….they didn’t roll together easily like a standard peanut butter ball would.
Next, break up your chocolate bars and microwave them in a coffee mug for about 2 minutes or until melted. I used three of the 70% cacao dark chocolate bars from Trader Joe’s. Dip the protein balls in the chocolate then place them on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Refrigerate for about an hour and they’ll be ready to go! The kids love them and don’t know they are actually good for them….that’s a win in my book. 🙂 Enjoy!
Chocolate Almond Energy Bites
- 8 ounces raw almonds
- 6 ounces pitted dates
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 1-2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp peanut butter
- 5 ounces dark chocolate
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper. Blend the raw almonds in a food processor or blender until they turn into a fine meal.
- Add the pitted dates and blend some more.
- Add a scoop of soy or whey protein powder and chia seeds and blend until mixed.
- Blend in 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter and then shape into balls a little smaller than a ping pong ball.
- Melt the dark chocolate for 2 minutes in the microwave. Coat the balls in chocolate then place on waxed paper.
- Refrigerate on a baking sheet until the chocolate hardens, then transfer to an air tight container to store. Enjoy!